Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 12: "Two Thumbs Up!"


Day 12: Favorite Movies

Australia- There was so much going on for the first 5 minutes of the movie it made my head spin, but once it settled in, and the story started to unfold, I was captivated. I love the Australian slang/colloquialism that peppers the movie. Also, I want to take Nullah home with me.

Legends of the Fall
- I love the cinematography of this movie, the setting (Montana has my heart, it just doesn't know it yet), and the plot. If Gone With the Wind was a Western, this would be it.

August Rush-
A movie about an elf-like orphan musical prodigy "calling" to his birth parents with his guitar? um, yes please. Heartwarming and sappy. I love it.

The Sandlot
- Nostalgic. Host to one of the greatest movie quotes of all time, "you're killing me smalls"

Practical Magic
- that house.

Son In Law- One of the only movies I will watch when it plays on cable.

8 Seconds
- I have a thing for cowboys, and wranglers, and good manners.

Cold Mountain
- another epic, drama filled movie that I am in love with. However. Renee Zellweger. I cringed every time she opened her mouth. A British native (Jude Law) pulled off a stronger and more believable southern accent than Texas born and bred Renee did. Love the soundtrack.

The Goonies-
because Goonies never say die! Duh.

Fried Green Tomatoes-
Female empowerment without all the bra burning. Thelma & Louise set in the Depression era south without the ultimate plunge over the ravine. Feel good with a gritty edge. Southern. Honey bees. Kathy Bates. BBQ.

Steel Magnolias- I've heard the dialogue in this movie described as "each of the women talk like they're reading a bumper sticker."...I'll take one of each. I laugh and cry every.time. I watch this movie.

Little Women- It brought Louisa May Alcott's story to life for me. Beautiful film-making.

The Shawshank Redemption- Morality. Camaraderie. Redemption. Morgan. Freeman.

Forest Gump- There's a reason this is one of the most successful movies ever made. As "comforting as an afternoon nap, but also as refreshing."

Pretty Woman- A modern day Cinderella? He pays her $3000 and they fall in love... Hollywood. But I still love it. Her laugh when Richard Gere closes the jewel box on her hand, makes me giggle every time. And when she tells the snotty sales lady she "has to go shopping now".... favorite part.

Almost Famous- anybody with a love affair with music gets.this. movie.

Amelia- adorable. charming. french.

The Sound of Music- it's a musical. meaning they sing their dialogue. I think we should do this in real life. I think somebody telling you ...♫ you're a jerk, and your feet smell♪..., set to a tune is easier to take than somebody just saying it out right. anyway. I can quote every line and every song of this movie. It's the one musical that I can honestly say I love. I loved it so much that I went on a Sound of Music tour in Austria, and liked it.

Love Actually- romantic. entertaining. fun. british accents. Only problem? I could never watch it with my parents. if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

Pride & Prejudice- lovely. in every sense of the word.

The Boondock Saints- a moral black hole, but it definitely taps into a secret desire for vigilantism.

Superbad- another one I can't watch with my parents. but.i.crack.up.

Euro Trip- funnier than it should be.

The Holiday- a little predictable, but overall one of my favorites.

Beauty and the Beast- talking/singing/dancing household wares. princess dresses. happy ending. classic Disney. favorite.

Chocolat- fabulous. teaches about tolerance and forgiveness. and how chocolate can cure all ills <---- I get it.


I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can come up with at the moment.

What are some of your favorites?

2 comments:

  1. i love Benny and June-crazy ppl need love too!
    i love all the pirate movies cause they don't bathe and it is okay.
    i love Eat, Pray, Love..it is a pretty movie about finding yourself.
    i love my dog skip-i cried for a week over that movie
    i too love steal magnolias, goonies, and sand lot.
    i also love second hand lions-mainly cause the pig thinks it is a dog and the lion and all that good jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do love your list!

    Australia ~ wanted to go there all my life still do, and i too would take Nullah home
    Titanic ~ epic, came on the other night, had to stop and watch
    Notebook ~ "Read this to me, and i'll come back to you" how can you not cry?
    Sweet Home Alabama ~ her true love waits till she finds herself, not many like that
    Pearl Harbor ~ a great story of love & loss
    Cold Mountian ~ women fending for themselves, living off the land, great love story
    Ultimate Gift ~ great teaching movie
    P.S. I Love You ~ makes me want to go to Ireland, another great love story
    Proposal ~ a woman in total control or so she thinks
    Mary Poppins ~ "Practically perfect in every way", oh and the bag it has everything
    the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals~ grew up watching them with my "Gin" (grandmother, not allowed to call her that)

    as you can see i love, love stories

    ReplyDelete